The Killing Joke (5 points ?)

 1. The Killing Joke, and the Joker in general, was kind of my introduction to the DC/Batman world and I had previously watched the animated movie before reading the comic. I thought the comic brought out the darker parts of the story, and was able to fully bring the more graphic images and topics that an animated movie might have limitations to. I really liked the comic so much better than the movie and I think I was able to get a better tone of the Joker and his motive. You really get to see what made him, him. The Joker is still a terrible person but you really get to see what drove him to do what he did, and that was trying to provide for his wife, which I still believe is the only person he will ever love. I really liked seeing a clearer display of the relationship between the Joker and Batman; it really shows just how similar they can be. I've always portrayed them both as the worst married couple with the most toxic relationship in the world. 

2-3. I was able to connect with the Joker a lot more than I thought I would, in terms of the motives and what drove him to do the things he did. He wanted to provide for his family and he had similar anxieties than I do. I really liked seeing the Joker in different light, and the animated movie did not really do justice to his character. The comic really brings out his tone and his real character. The comic managed to humanize him and put him in a different perspective. I think the existing Joker movie also manages to humanize the character a bit more, but I would love to see a mix of The Killing Joke with Joaquin Phoenix's Joker and how he would interact with Batman. 

4. Sometimes superhero comics can be thought of as only action scenes and cool powers, and while that is all very cool, I think The Killing Joke brings something very deep to the table. The stakes are higher than ever and you are immersed in a world where the superhero can easily become the villain and the villain is painted in a different perspective. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arrival (3 points)

Understanding Comics (3 points)